Tuesday, July 14, 2009

summer vacation sweet sorrow

As Tokyo makes its lumbering transition from sticky rainy season to hotter, drier high summer, I am blessed with an incredible seven weeks of vacation! On the negative side, this blog will suffer a bit until September. However, I'd like to spend some time researching kyuushoku more, and post whatever I find. Perhaps I'll visit the famous (and only) kyuushoku restaurant in the world. Or cook my own! Maybe get into some compelling history. Either way, today's lunch was a nice send off, a classic grilled fish/vegetable/rice/miso soup combo. It's steeped in tradition, folks, hundreds of years of simple cooking reflected here. I'll miss thee, sweet kyuushoku, until September!

[clockwise from rice]

- rice (gohan ご飯)
- potato stew (jagaimo no nimono じゃがいもの煮物)
- Spanish mackerel teriyaki (sawara no teriyaki サワラ照り焼き)
- milk (gyuunuu 牛乳)
- miso soup (miso shiru みそ汁)

No comments:

Post a Comment